Date:      Fri, 24 Mar 2000 17:07:25 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug Barton <Doug@gorean.org>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: On "intelligent people" and "dangers to BSD"

On Fri, 24 Mar 2000, Terry Lambert wrote:

> This is the same principle that allows your neighbor, who has
> parked in front of your house for 2 years, to continue parking
> there, even if you have bought a second car, and have no place
> to park it because your driveway has your first car in it.  He
> has established a right to that spot, even though it is in front
> of your house, by virtue of you not stopping him.

	Assuming that you are talking about a public highway ("the
street") and not your private property, then neither one of you has a
"legal right" to it, never mind whose house it's in front of. It's
strictly by convention that most people consider the space in front of
their home "theirs," and most neighbors respect that.

	We have a kind of a funny situation with our neighbor, since there
is a bit of street that's roughly one half a car length on his side, and
one half on ours, with the bit on our side bordered by our driveway. He
has more cars than he has room for, so he almost always is parked
there. Since I usually don't need that space, that's fine with me. But,
every once in a while I like to park there, mostly on hot sunny days, for
two reasons. One, because that spot has the best shade, and two just to
remind him what's what. :)

	If you are indeed talking about your property, that's a whole
other topic. Now you're talking about squatter's rights, etc. However that
problem is easily resolved. Just wait till the car's gone and build a
fence. One of the base definitions of private property in the US is the
right (ability) to exclude others from it. If the car never leaves on
the other hand, that's a different kettle of fish.

Doug
--
    "So, the cows were part of a dream that dreamed itself into
existence? Is that possible?" asked the student incredulously.